Friday, July 26, 2013

Ponderings of a Hoosier

Last night I heard the sure signs of the waning of summer, coon dogs on the track of a coon.  I am always astounded at how fast summer comes and goes.  I call myself a "truck" farmer as the minute the farmers start turning the soil in the spring until the last ear of corn is off the stalk, I like driving around and watching the progress of every field.  I am astonished at the speed at which corn grows.  The seed breaks ground and falters a day or two and then slowly starts its journey towards the sky.  At about knee high, the farmers come through with a shot of nitrogen and whish! the corn starts shooting upward.  What other plants are there that grows 8-10 feet in twelve weeks or less?  I know of none.

The stalks stand stately in the field like sentries watching for the signs of fall so that it can begin the change of color from green to brown, drooping and growing the ears that are like golden treasures on each stalk.

The corn is currently tasseling and that saddens me because fall is not far behind when the tassels start popping atop the stalks.  The brilliant emerald greens that stand on Indiana soils are the brightest we've had this year.  Crops have been stunted the past few summers, starved with drought.  Our reward is a typical Indiana summer this year with moderately hot days, some cooler days, rain and all that makes this Indiana.

I have only strayed a few miles from where I grew up and often wonder what it would be like to live somewhere other than here.  My roots are deep.  For 25 years, I have walked the path from the house to the barn, watching the crops of a morning and the stars at night.  The quiet of evening often rewards me with the hoot of an owl.  In the spring, the "spring peepers" sing their chorus of songs and reward me with the first sign of spring.  Are there spring peepers elsewhere?

I have heard it said that 'home is where the heart is' and wonder if I am destined to spend my life here on the farm.  I know the sounds and sights and neighbors.  I have to wonder as I look out and wonder what is next in my life.

2 comments:

macook said...

I came across your blog via the "natural surfaces" blog hop and your ponderings caught my attention. I was born in Germany, came to the US as a young woman; lived in several states; traveled across Europe some and the US a lot and Texas has been my home now for 30+ years. A lot of the traveling was great. And now as I get older I find myself wondering what it would be like to have grown old with the people I grew up with. What it would be like to know everyone around me. Last year I was walking down the small, narrow street I grew up in and I did not know a single soul. I felt very alone (even though my husband was with me). I guess, all I am trying to say, however our life has been, it is never even close to perfect. I have memories of different places, but you have precious memories of people and places close to you; you have watched them change over the seasons. And most of all you live close to the land and nature, which is so dear. Wishing you the best and for your dreams to come true. And I love your lambs (and I know they are a ton of work). Blessings...Maria...

macook said...

comment