Friday, December 20, 2013

Silent Night

I try to keep politics out of my blog, but tonight I heard on the radio where a NYC school took the song "Silent Night" and eliminated any religious words from the song and re-wrote it so as not to 'offend' anyone.  I am offended that anyone would even think to do that to one of the most beautiful, but yes, religious Christmas songs there is.  What was their real purpose?  There are hundreds of Christmas songs that are non-denominational.  Why not sing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus," "The Twelve Days of Christmas," or any other number of Christmas songs that leave out Christ?

I am tired of our nation's need to ALWAYS be politically correct.  We are so obsessed with not offending anyone with anything.  Yet, no one cares if they offend us.  Take for instance women wearing burkhas.  I don't know about anyone else, but my parents taught me the philosophy of "When in Rome, do what the Romans do."  In other words, fit in and quit trying to stand out.  I see so many people screaming loudly "Look at Me!" through their actions and what they wear (tattoos included).  Is this really fitting in?  Why can't we celebrate the real reason for Christmas?  If we don't want to publicly celebrate the birth of the Christ child, then let's just do away with the holidays and pretend it is just another week of the year.

Oh! Wait! We can't do that!!! What would merchants do without Black Friday and the need to sell stuff to get out of the red?  So I guess we will continue to celebrate Christmas and eventually no one will really know what the holiday is all about.  I hope not.  So I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  Please try to remember the Christ is the reason for the season and with out Him, there would be no Christmas.

No comments: