Monday, March 24, 2014

Loss

There are times that in spite of ourselves, we can't be everywhere at once.  Such was the case this morning.  When I went to the barn, in spite of checking on everyone after midnight, there was Grace with the super large head of a lamb protruding from her nether parts.  She was in great distress and the legs of the lamb were no where to be seen.  His head was dry so he had been in this position for some time.  Without hesitation, I knelt down and searched for his legs, got them out and assisted in removing him from Grace.  He was dead and it was obvious before I knelt down as his tongue was hanging out of his mouth and he had that look that is inescapable with death.  This lamb was HUGE! A Shetland/Finn cross just can't do 15 pound lambs.  Grace received an antibiotic and we covered her as she went into shock.  She was eating her hay when I came to the house, but I don't think I will breed her again.  She always has such an awesome fleece.  This ram lamb was as large as my Bluefaced/Border Leicester cross lambs when they are born.  Most of my Cormo lambs are 5-6 pounds.  And here I thought she was carrying twins.

No comments: