Saturday, August 31, 2024

Why Some Seniors/People Ignore Pain

 My parents were advocates of the "it's too far from your heart to kill you" when it came to us children (there were 10 of us) getting hurt. Anytime one of us got a cut, a scratch, a bruise, or hurt in general, we were told to continue doing what we should be doing, complete the task at hand, then Mom would take a look at it. No matter how bad we felt, we weren't to let it show and we were to get the job done.

A good example of this, is my brother David. For multiple weeks, he limped favoring his right side with a slight hunch protecting that side. When asked why he was limping, he said he didn't know (denial of pain). Well, about 3 weeks after the limping began, David got really sick with a fever, and extended stomach. He was rushed to the Emergency Room 25 miles away. The doctors did what needed to be done and found that David's appendix had ruptured. What if he had been taken to a doctor when Mom first noticed him limping?

However, as a result of being told or hearing daily and sometimes more than once a day - it's too far from my heart to kill me, at 71, I am reluctant to let the doctor know where I hurt and how much pain I am really in. For months, I hurt from head to toe clear to the bone, but I continued to work and do all that one needs to do to get thru each day. I got an opportunity to do LifeLine Screening, made an appointment, then followed through with the appointment.

A couple of weeks later, I found that I was severely deficient in Vitamin D. How can that be? I drink milk, eat cottage, ice cream, sour cream. Isn't that enough? I guess not. Vitamin D deficiency is one malady I never thought I would have.

It turns out that people with thyroid disorders, which I have had for 35 plus years, their bodies are less likely to manufacture and utilize Vitamin D from the sun and dairy sources. I am amazed at how 1 little gel pill each week keeps the pain from feeling like it comes clear from the bone.

I have some other issues I keep forgetting to mention to my M.D. that I really need to bring up but keep forgetting to until I get home. My doctor can't read my mind and I need to just open up instead of thinking 'it is too far from my heart to kill me.' What if it isn't?

My favorite tech support person's link is below. Today she brought up the fact that there are many elder scams out there and that we are easy pickings because we are so gullible and want to trust everyone. She provides tips for security and how to keep your information off the dark web and other items that give you an opportunity to protect your information. I hope you find her link useful. 

Kim Komando techie

No comments: