Monday, October 3, 2022

Uncle Bill's Self-Improvement List

 Today, we (all my family and his) buried my Uncle Bill who lived 89 years, 4 months, and 3 days in this world. He spent the past 4-5 years battling Alzheimer's and it finally took its toll. He was a unique, one-of-a-kind man that served my aunt and the world he lived in with his quiet demeanor and firm faith in God. 

As a photographer, he always had us 'group up' so he could snap a family photo could at each get-together to mark the passage of time. Family group photos were a must in Uncle Bill's mind. The family group always tried to outdo him with our antics.  Uncle Bill never ceased to amaze me by how fast he could move from the back of the camera to the group as he set the timer for 10 seconds so he could be in the photo with the group.

As my cousins and aunt went through Uncle Bill's things, they found an entire piece of paper with what I would call his mottos for living.  I would like to include it here in hopes that anyone reading this will see it and decide that living with these self-helps will help to better their lives.

Don't postpone joy.

Stop blaming others.

Take responsibility.

Count your blessings.

Do more than is expected.

Take time to smell the roses.

Be there when people need you.

Never deprive someone of hope, it may be all they have.

Be someone's hero.

Don't be afraid to say I'm sorry.

Don't tailgate.

Don't rain on other people's parade.

Improve your performance by improving your attitude.

Say "Thank You" a lot.

Say "Please" a lot.

Leave everything a little better than you found it.

Don't interrupt.

Keep good company.

Keep your promise.

Be kinder than necessary.

Make it a habit to do nice things.

Never give up on anyone. Miracles happen every day.

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.

Remember other people's birthdays.

Don't nag.

Be forgiving of yourself and others.

As Nathan, my cousin, read through this list during the funeral, I made a mental list of a few of these I need to work on. As I think of Uncle Bill, I believe he lived up to this list.  His patience and quiet demeanor remembered by all of us.  His list will stand as a reminder to each of us as a checksheet of how we need to live.  I know we will all miss Uncle Bill. Alzheimer's may think it won this battle, but in reality, it was a stepping stone for my uncle to return home.  God Bless Uncle Bill! 

No comments: